Sunday 5 August 2012

Dare to Live!



I have always loved writing. Words have always been my escape. Written and spoken word has been my greatest platform, the very canvas that my thoughts and experiences could freely dance upon. I kid you not; I wrote my first short song when I was about 3 years old. Hilarious! Yet, the older I got the more I released my passion and focused on what I thought was more “logical”. Long story short, my manager read one of my poems and nudged me into entering a poetry competition a week ago. I was scared, the task seemed too daunting but I did it anyway (this past weekend) and I absolutely loved the experience. The experience is still very raw in my mind because the auditions were only just yesterday, on Saturday. The anxiety of waiting for feedback from the judges does not even match up to the liberation and enlightenment and joy of unleashing what I had swept under the rug and inter-acting with so many talented artists. I decided to centre this week’s blog on that: taking risks and being a bit more daring.



A risk does not have to be a death defying act or rebellious stunt, there is no scale that has been set out to measure what is and what isn’t. A risk is simply what you fear doing because it is outside of your comfort zone or you are scared of unsettling anyone by doing what you would love to do. How long then will you keep snipping and cutting your creative, frayed endings just to seem proper and collected to everyone else? When deep down inside you have a burning desire to be released and explore a little further.



From starting a business to joining a dancing class, just do it. If you are really serious and committed to living an authentic and fulfilling life you will do it. Forget about your fears for a minute and feed a different entity, feed your dreams. See, at the end of the day you are the one responsible for your life. You reap the rewards, you face the consequences and only you truly revel in the contentment you get from exploring what you desire. Pick up that pen, take the sheet off that canvas, mix your paints, buy those jogging sneakers, join that gym, wake up an hour earlier to read that book, register for that course, buy that recipe book, take that holiday, draft that business plan: whatever it is, just do it! I don’t know what everyone’s dreams are but the possibilities are endless, I simply can’t list them all.



Life is not a confinement that’s fenced with barbwire, holding us captive in cages. It is a giant pool of possibilities and freedom. Dare yourself this week to do at least one thing that you have been aching to do or begin but fear has been holding you back. So what if it does not work out? Experience is the best teacher and you will know that you are a daring and courageous individual with enormous potential.

Let’s have a daring and awesome week! J

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Dare to LIVE!

QUOTE: “Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing” – Hellen Keller

2 comments:

  1. Wow such words sooth my soul, I am moved Candice. You are truly amazing and this is beyond the amazing I thought you were in primary school...*speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am humbled by your words Amanda, thank you. Truth is we are all amazing, that's why I started this blog. Stay fab :)

      Delete